10.01.2009

Apology

I do not consider myself a poet. I have never studied poetry, nor do I know the first thing about verse structure (other than Anglicized haiku) or composition (other than the simple--yet often brilliant--rhymes of Dr. Seuss). However, I became inspired several years ago by the spontaneous, jazz-influenced poetry of Jack Kerouac, and I realized that I didn't really have to know how to write poetry to write poetry. If that makes any sense.

I wrote free-form verse from time-to-time, often compiling what I had written over the course of a year into chapbooks given as Christmas gifts to my friends and family. After a while, it seemed my creativity dried up, and my poetry became one of those things in life that are left behind and forgotten. Recently, however, I found myself with the urge to write again, and it has been -- for the most part -- a pleasure.

I decided to start this blog as a way to share some of my work -- past, present, and future. I received some positive feedback in the past, and more recently from my sister, Lisa, who asked if she could post one of my latest poems on her blog (
www.2500milesbarbwire.blogspot.com/). At first, I was hesitant to begin my own blog because of the aforementioned lack of knowledge about writing 'real' poetry. However, as I thought more about it, I realized that true growth often results from taking a chance and putting oneself on the line. It is well enough for me to write a poem and tuck it away someplace where it will never be read, but I believe art of any kind -- 'good' or 'bad' -- is not really art unless it is shared. With this in mind, I am taking the plunge to do so, and am excited to see what might happen.

I am not always pleased with what I write. I often wish I had said something a little differently.  However, in trying to keep with the spirit of my original intentions for writing, I do my best to keep things spontaneous and stick with what comes out with only the occasional small bit of editing.
I am also cognizant of the fact that any old thing that comes out of someone's head does not necessarily constitute worthy reading, despite any claims of spontaneity, and I try to be somewhat thoughtful of what I do write. My work consists mainly of trying to capture the moment in which it was written -- my focus on the world around me, often combined with tones evoked by my emotional content at the time. Attempts at trying to compose verse about emotionally or physically distant topics has generally led to disappointment on my own part. For this blog, I will attempt to post poems that I think an audience might enjoy, although I may occasionally include ones of which I am a little unsure, in hopes that any feedback might lead to growth on my own part.

In this vein, I invite commentary on what is posted in this blog. Please feel free to let me know what you think about what you find here. I ask only that you do so with respect, and while keeping in mind the above disclaimer that my work is of an amateur nature. I hope you enjoy what you read, and if you do, please post a comment and let me know why; I have a tendency toward laziness, and I will be more likely to continue posting if I know I have an audience. Also, pass the word along if you know someone else who might enjoy my blog.  If this isn't your kind of thing, I encourage you to move on to something that is, while also inviting you to let me know what you think. After all, as a form of art, poetry should invite and encourage discussion second only to invoking a subjective reaction in the reader.

In any case, thank you for visiting.

2 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic idea Tom I don't think you realize how really talented you are .I really enjoyed the poetry and will look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete