10.05.2009

Bald Mountain Loop

red maple and striped
green, yet yellowing
from late-summer
          lack of sunlight
acorns also
          dot the ground


chuckling chickadees
and woodpeckers
rustle in the underbrush
          causing me to pause
and pay attention
          to the sounds


the trail climbs steadily
over rocks and roots
winding through
          the thick forest
i must relearn
          how to walk this ground


the smell of mushrooms
and wet earth
give way to ferns
          near the first view
other peaks' summits
          lost in cloud


now they are clearing
at cold river vista
and the sun shines
          shade-dappled leaves
dance in a breeze
          the rocks are silent


delicate spider webs
tickle my face
how long since someone
          passed this way?
the cry of a jay
          announces my presence


a vulture glides
on silent wings
over the valley
          in the near distance
sits a squat steep hill
          like a buddha


now, pine and spruce
are starting to show
their scent fresh
          in the cool air
barren, branched trunks
          marching into the distance


at north vista
looking down the valley
of otter creek
          mountains on either side
houses and fields
          dot the landscape


a steep descent
leveling out into
beeches and ferns
          an airier feel
lost in my thoughts
          i nearly missed it


faded flowers
on the old forest road
washed of summer hues
          their petals ragged
an uprooted maple
          stretches nearby


a large bumblebee
looking for last pollen
flew lazily away
          as i passed
ignoring his wisdom
          i hurry along


at the loop's closing
back where i started
the sun has dimmed
          behind fresh clouds
the woodpeckers
          are now in the trees





1 comment:

  1. Hey, Tom.

    Thanks for putting these poems "out there". I am enjoying reading them and recalling my own, less numerous, times out on the trail. On Sunday, I drove down to the Appalachian Gap on Rt. 17 at sunset and hiked the mile up to Mt. Abraham, bringing my fiddle along on my back. Once I got up to the top, I popped out the fiddle and played a few tunes. My own attempt to bring art and nature together. Glorious evening. Not sure I'll subject the fiddle again to the vagaries of the mountain, gravity, poor traction and waning light. Still, quite memorable.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete